Monday, 7 July 2014

Easy Bunting for Lazy People

I made some super Lazy Bunting this week, and thought I'd share. This isn't quite a tutorial - a true tutorial would not be in the spirit of Lazy Bunting - it's more of a vague summary of the things I did that you could also do too, if you wanted. So, are you feeling kinda lazy but want to make something fun and summery? I give you: Lazy Bunting!


I've had these polka dot fat quarters hanging around for so long, it was about time they started a new life as exciting (lazy) bunting. I used five different colours, you can use however many you can be bothered to acquire. I'm sure Lazy Bunting would look great with less colours. Or more. Lazy Bunting has no rules! The less effort you put into sourcing this fabric, the more Lazy Bunting points you get. 


You will also need bias tape and some pinking shears. Cut out a bunch of triangles in your colours using the pinking shears. I used a cardboard template for the bunting - I was so lazy I actually got Gavin to make this for me, as I couldn't be bothered to even do the necessary triangle maths. I would recommend delegating this task in the true spirit of Lazy Bunting.


Then, you will need to iron all the bunting triangles flat. I stacked them up for maximum laziness. You'll also need to iron the bias tape in half, which is more fiddly and if you're feeling as lazy as I was, you'll need to complain loudly a lot about how much effort it is. Then, space your triangles out along the length of the bias tape, tucking and pinning them inside at regular intervals. I only used one pin per triangle, which was actually too lazy. I would recommend two because either end of the triangles kept popping out. Ease up on the laziness a little to ensure you can be even lazier in the later stages.


The next step is to get your sewing machine (hand sewing is possible but definitely not in the spirit of Lazy Bunting) and just sew along the bias tape. Easy peasy. I didn't even bother using matching thread. I just used whatever was in there last. Maximum laziness!


Now you are ready to display your Lazy Bunting! I (very lazily) tacked it to the wall above the hamster tank, because it looked all bare and lonely. I've become determined to make the flat as colourful and bright as possible to counteract the walls. They're a sort of off-white-not-cream-not-yellow-just-dirty-looking shade and there are so many stains on them, urgh. A pox on landlords with no taste in paint colours!

(Not sure the hammies appreciate the bunting, but their interior decorating leave a lot to be desired.)

alice
xxx

6 comments:

  1. Love your lazy bunting! Anything that requires minimal effort is aces in my book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! I love big, epic projects, but I really love totally lazy tiny ones. :)

      Delete
  2. I love your lazy bunting, and your non-tutorial :) And that rug is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :D He was H&M's home range last summer, I couldn't resist him! (I actually really love H&M's homeware, it's kind of a problem!)

      Delete
  3. I was so excited to google "lazy ways to make bunting" and actually find multiple articles. So far yours is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :D I'm glad my laziness can inspire further laziness!

      Delete